Faqs About Outgrowing A Food Allergy

Health & Medical Blog

When your child suffers from a food allergy, you have to carefully watch his or her diet to avoid an allergic reaction. Food allergies are common, but for some kids, they are only temporary. If your child suffers from food allergies, here is what you need to know. 

Can Your Child Outgrow Food Allergies?

A commonly-believed misconception about food allergies is that they last a lifetime. In actuality, some children can outgrow food allergies. Food allergies, such as a milk allergy, can disappear by the time a child is five years old. 

Some allergies are more likely to be outgrown than others. For instance, 70 percent of kids outgrow egg allergies. By contrast, peanuts continue to be a trigger for up to 80 percent of kids who have allergies to them. 

Allergies to shellfish and pets are rarely outgrown. Your child's allergy specialist can help with determining a course of treatment for managing your child's condition. 

What Can You Do?

If you suspect your child has outgrown a food allergy, do not risk giving him or her the substance until proper allergy testing has been conducted. Your allergy specialist can expose your child to a small amount of the food and check him or her for a reaction. 

If your child has not yet outgrown a food allergy, all hope is not lost. Your child's allergy specialist can give him or her a special test that helps to predict whether or not he or she will outgrow an allergy. The Immunocap RAST evaluates the reaction that your child has to a food trigger to determine if he or she could outgrow the allergy in the future. 

What If Your Child Continues to Have an Allergic Reaction?

In the event testing states that your child is no longer allergic to a food and he or she still has a reaction to it, consult with your allergy specialist. It is possible that the reaction your child is experiencing is to another substance. 

To aid your child's allergy specialist in narrowing down the possible allergens, keep a food diary detailing the foods that your child consumes. If further testing reveals that your child has an allergic reaction, the specialist can help create a plan to manage his or her condition. 

Your child's allergy specialist can help you with other allergy-related concerns. For your child's health, continue to see the specialist until he or she receives the treatment needed. 

For more information, contact Dino Peds or a similar organization.


4 August 2016

hiring a home care service to improve quality of life

If you are currently struggling to care for an elderly, disabled or special needs loved one, you likely have little time to take care of yourself. Did you know that failing to take care of yourself can make things more difficult for the person that you are trying to care for? Hiring a home care service to assist you in the daily care of your loved one will go a long way in improving the quality of life that both you and your loved one experience. I have gathered information that can help you decide on a home care service to help you and your loved one through difficult months or years.